Instagram

Sunday, November 13, 2011

25 days! Disney with KIDS

I’m going to Disneyland in 25 days, wahoo! Every trip is special, but this one especially so because I’ve been (generously) invited to go along with my Aunt Kim’s family. It’s been about four years since they’ve last been to the ‘Land, and they have three young children (boy, girl, boy), so I know this is going to be a completely different trip for me – Disney with kids? What is this madness? Haha!
The good/great stuff: this family lo-o-oves Disney! On my previous trips I could always count on getting a few texts from my aunt every day, wondering what we were up to, just because she was excited for me and wanted to hear all about it. We have a shared love for Whitewater Snacks. She knows what’s what and doesn’t have crazy unrealistic expectations. (That is my mantra for every trip: Realistic Expectations. Realistic Expectations, people. If you come prepared with these, you will not be disappointed.) She’s practical and a planner but she also likes to budget for special treats and experiences while on vacation - hey, just like me! She and my uncle have been waiting a long time for just the right time to take this trip, and I’m just so glad they asked me to join them. It’s almost a full circle kind of thing, because when my mom and dad took me on my first Disney trip to Walt Disney World when I was four, my Aunt Kim came with us. Aww.
Caribbean Beach Resort, 1990, yeah!

My mom is the same age as I am now in this picture, but lets try not to think about that right now, mm?

Liberty Square - jeez, I was just there last May & I'm remembering how massive WDW is!
What I’m “nervous” about is OMG Disney with kids! I know, I know, Disneyland was pretty much built FOR kids, but they don’t have any money and ever since I stopped being one I’ve only traveled with adults. I absolutely know my carefully cultivated systems, past plans and personal preferences will be going right out the plane window on the way down, if not on the minivan ride to the airport. Kids is different, y’all! I’m a preschool teacher, so I’m probably more prepared than some to deal with some potential crankiness at the Happiest Place on Earth. I know it will happen, just like I know they’ll have the time of their lives. (Like I said, Realistic Expectations.) Also, it's sometimes more complicated going with a bigger group of people, but the rewards are worth it, because it's also cool. My plan for this trip is to just go with the flow! I’ve already been to DL this year and done sweet grownup things; I’ll be there to help the vacation go smoothly, while of course having fun with everyone times a zillion.
What I’m excited about is OMG Disney with KIDS! I’m bringing my princess crown! (Okay, I’ve actually brought my princess crown all the other times I’ve gone to the DLR, too. Hey, it’s my life.) Kids are allowed to wear costumes! It’s going to be totally different and FUN! Seeing everything in the parks through their eyes is going to be really special. Even the countdown and preparation has been a change – the kids made a paper chain counting down the days, and each day they cut one off. What hijinks!
Makenna - this was back in August, lookit all those rings!

I actually bought this piece of luggage at TJ Maxx the other day (at a reasonable price, for luggage) because even though I’m going to be 30 someday, for this trip I AM LIKE A KID, okay? I want them to respect how awesome my suitcase is. I’d like for all the other kids at the airport to be jealous, and for me to be all, “Just think, kiddos, when you grow up and don’t have any kids or a boyfriend, you can buy whatever the heck you want and go to Disneyland all the time! Life is amazing!”

yep, there are happy flowers, the cupcakes have Mickey sprinkles & the balloons are smiling.

HELPFUL/INTERESTING PLANS FOR DISNEY WITH KIDS:
Because kids don't have money and can't buy whatever they want, they inevitably ask for many things. While that's totally cool (I mean, we are on vacation!), they just can't have everything, so my aunt has already purchased a few souvenir-y things that she can "gift" them every day of the trip. It'll be new to them and they'll enjoy the toy/doll/light spinner/whatever equally as if it cost three times as much. And while I'm fairly sure the parents are going to be good-natured and doting with the snack-buying (I mean, we ARE on vacation!), you just can't buy everything, so we're bringing assorted snacks with us and basically giving the kids choices for every day. I think it's gonna be pretty good.

What I haven’t done before that I probably will do on this trip: visit Pixie Hollow and the Fairies, ride the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, eat at the two character meals I’ve never tried before (Goofy’s Kitchen and Ariel’s Grotto), meet Rapunzel, go through Tarzan’s Treehouse, watch the entire Jedi Training Academy show, visit the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Mickey’s Toontown Morning Madness, see the Playhouse Disney show, spend more than like 20 minutes on Tom Sawyer’s Island (sorry, “Pirate’s Lair”), and spend more than like 20 minutes at Flik’s Fun Fair. New things = super exciting!
Things I hope I do NOT do: hit anyone with a stroller, get sick on Star Tours, get sick on the carousel, go to Innoventions.
What I’m FREAKING OUT about: going on the Little Mermaid ride with Makenna. Tee hee!

2 comments:

  1. ha Goofy's Kitchen was my favorite as a kid so my last trip we went for nostalgic purposes. It's fun with lots of kid friendly food.

    Finding Nemo is super cute. If time allows, take them to the talking crush show in CA Adventure! The kid's reactions are priceless. :)

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenn - the Crush show is fantastic! It's fun how you basically get a different show every time. At WDW they also have the "Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor" show that's similar, but in a bigger theater and it's HILARIOUS! Hard to explain, but truly fun.

    ReplyDelete